One of the most rewarding ways you make a difference in the lives of homeless animals is by volunteering to be a foster pet parent. Fostering gets animals out of shelters and into safe, loving, homes where they can grow or heal until they are ready for permanent adoption. We are always in need of foster homes. Guardians for the Animals of Ohio, Inc. will provide food and litter and cover all veterinary costs, all you need is a safe place and an open heart!
Fostering animals is, simply put, saving lives. When you become a foster parent, you volunteer to keep a homeless pet in your home temporarily until they get adopted.
Many people come up with excuses not to foster. They think they’re too busy, or they don’t want to get attached to an animal they’ll have to give up in a month or so. I believe that with a little preparation most people would make great foster parents.
Here are seven reasons why you should consider becoming a foster parent:
1. Fostering increases an animal’s chance of getting adopted. Foster families are usually the first to find out about the pet’s personality. You may even be the first to teach your foster pet basic house manners, making them more appealing to potential adopters.
2. Your own pets will learn more social skills. The more animals your pets come in contact with, the better they are at dealing with stress and getting used to strangers. Your pet might even find a playmate in your foster pet.
3. You get to see if you’re ready to own another pet. Maybe you want to foster a certain dog breed to see if you’re ready to adopt one. Or maybe you want a new pet now but aren’t sure where you’ll be in the next 5, 10, 15, or 20 years. Though fostering can sometimes be a trial adoption period for that pet, it can help you try out changes to your current “fur family.”
4. Fostering is temporary. If you’ve already got a dog, it’s not a big change to add one more pup to your daily walks and potty break schedule. Knowing the foster animal will only be with you for a short time makes it easier to find the time to take care of them, and it also makes it easier to give them up when it’s time.
5. You probably already have the space for one more. A spare bedroom, office, or screen porch is the perfect place for a foster pet. Sometimes a spare room is the only thing standing between an animal and death, living outside.
6. Fostering keeps animals off of the streets. Animals in foster care tend to be less stressed, better socialized, and have a lower chance of getting sick than animals in shelters.
7. You are saving a life. You feel good, Guardians for the Animals of Ohio, Inc. can help more animals, and your foster pet is happy, healthy, and well-socialized.
Talk about win-win-win!
GET STARTED TODAY! PLEASE READ ALL THE FOSTERING INFO UNDER FOSTERING TAB INCLUDING REQUIREMENTS FOR FOSTERING.
FILL OUT AN APPLICATION!
**IMPORTANT** If you live in Canal Winchester, Bexley, or Upper Arlington, or any other area that has BSL, we DO NOT foster any Staffordshire Terrier or Staffordshire Terrier mixes due to their BSL (Breed Specific Legislation).